Monday, February 12, 2007

Open letter BNL.

An open letter to the Barenaked Ladies:

I just heard about the Proposed Private Copying Tariff 2008-2009 by the Canadian Private Copying Collective. Read all about the insanity here. Somewhat applauded that my iPod could go up in price by $75 and that I would be supporting Canadian artists by buying camera supplies (flash cards are included in the proposal). I phoned CPCC to get more information. I was told that it should cost money to backup my paid for library because I'm copying at home. That I should be charged not only money spent on your album from iTunes but also to copy it to my iPod if for no other reason then to backup my paid for music; regardless I'm paying twice. She said that it wasn't to recover costs from pirating (somehow that'd be better in my opinion). I mentioned the Barenaked Ladies and the Canadian Music Creators Coaltions (CMCC), and what they're doing to support fans and keep them. She said that BNL and the CMCC support this proposal. Aghast and surprised I look to you for an explanation. Do you support this and if so why? There might be something I'm missing and I'd love to get your feedback.

There you have it;
Wader

No comments: