Monday, July 10, 2006

Magic Eye - Simply Amazing

Back in the 90's -the early 90's- there was something called Magic Eye. Basically it's a stylized stereogram where what looks like a simple repeating pattern is really a 3D image. You need to skew your eyes up, blur them, look past the image and ta da, you're looking at something that didn't appear there previously. The second you look away, it's gone. It was even featured in the movie Mallrats, the 1994 episode of Seifeld "The Gymnast," and a multitude of other pop-culture references. Wikipedia has a wonderful (as always) article on Magic Eye and on Stereograms. I have tried a number of times to see it and to no avail. I didn't see what the fuss was about because I didn't have the zen vision required. This weekend however I sat in front of my computer screen until I saw it. I hoped and waited, and got frustrated, then I saw it. I'm still not a master but I'm completly addicted (13 years after the first book was released). If you too want to try it out search for magic eye or stereogram in google image search. The best site though (and the reason all of this has transpired) is the ability to create your own Stereogram. Try it out and tell me what you think. Can you too do it?

Wader

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

www.txt2pic.com allows you make a very basic downloadable 3d sterogram with your text online.