I don't know what possessed me and it wasn't like it was a chore, I wanted to do it, and I couldn't wait until it was done. A.S. if you remember when we cleaned your house, if was like that, and the reward was a clean and fresh room.
Two huge garbage bags later filled with shit (figuratively) and I have not only a floor again, but also a desk, a dresser, and a couple of computers sitting around too (I've been computing not at my desk, but wirelessly upstairs because I didn't want to enter the hell that was my room). I found letters from girls from grades 8 through 12 and looking back I feel more popular then I really was. Garbage. I found a chemistry sets from grade 4. Garbage. I found over a dozen decks of cards, plus a micro set and a oversized set. Keep. Bio 11 notes. Garbage. English 8 notes. Garbage. Pictures of me when I was severely obese. Burn um!
I also found this wonderful excerpt from my Ed psych 200 course. Enjoy.
Underachievement
Grade School: Little work, excellent marks. Certain subjects and teachers fondly recalled.
Junior High School: The gap between workers and non-workers widened, some experienced a decline in marks, others maintained excellent marks with little effort.
High School: The gap between workers and underachievers increased, but still most underachievers maintained honors or near-honors standing with little effort.
University: Task demands and /or competition were seen as dramatically increasing. Student motivation started out high, but by mid-term exams procrastination was pronounced, and avoidance behaviors prevailed until final examinations. GPA was always significantly below expectations.
Underachievement us seen by some authors as an attempt to avoid work or task demands imposed upon them, It is more than being lazy, because that can usually be reversed through incentives. Some chronic underachievers can't work effectively, even when the consequences are failure and humiliation.
My favorite part is the, "procrastination was pronounced, and avoidance behaviors prevailed..."
Don't worry though, we're not underachievers, we're gifted underachievers.
Wader
P.S. A.S. are you proud of me?
Until The End Of The World from the album Achtung Baby by U2
No comments:
Post a Comment